What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ID 2 types of 105mm BE smoke projectiles

timefuze

Hi All,

First of all best wishes, including lots of collector fun, for the new year!

I have two types of 105mm base ejection smoke (?) projectiles for identification, both (to be) equiped with a British time fuze.
One has a very long elongation behind the driving band. There are remnants of a light greenish color on the shell body.
The other has a standard shape like a 105mm M84 smoke, on which I'd expect an American type mechanical time fuze or so -not a British fuze like a n0390.
Under the rim of the ogive is possbily some grey paint.
See picture below. A standard 105 x 602mm shell case in the back gives impression of size.

Can someone give me an ID of these two types of shells please?
What type of shell case are they to be fitted in and by what type of gun / tank are they normally fired from.
Anyone a picture of how they should look like after I restored them please?

Many thanks!

Timefuze
SANY0092.jpg

I'm thinking the big one might be a 20Pdr smoke projectile and the little one is a 105 Howitzer projectile. There are a number of postings with photos of the 105 colors and lettering here on BOCN. Old paint colors for the 105 M84 was a flat gray body with black lettering. Current paint colors are light flat green projectile with black lettering.

Here is the leaflet variation:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/78086-M84-Series-105-MM-Leaflette?highlight=propaganda

Hello,

The first (big one) is not a 20pr Smk (The shape is little different and diameter is 84mm)

Cheers

It is a Brittisch L 39 series smoke projectile,it was also in use in the Netherlands in the Leopard1 tank.

Attachments

• 105 mm L 39foto.jpg
    105 mm L 39foto.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 79
  • 105 mm L 39.jpg
    105 mm L 39.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 52
Thanks blu97! Belgium also had some Leopard tanks and probably fired same ammo. Searched internet extensively and couldn't find a trace of this type of ammo. The more recent it is, the harder to find apparently.

One more round to identify: the 105mm smoke BE with UK thread in nose to fit a British time fuze and not the american one...

Brgds,

Timefuze

The colour scheme for the old M84 Smoke BE is grey with yellow lettering, not black lettering.