What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.D: Rimfire & Metal detecting finds

ben2000

Hello All,

I have two sets of items i was hoping someone could enlighten me on. Firstly i recently purchased the 3 large rimfire rounds, all identical, no markings and over half an inch in diameter (unfortunately i dont own a vernier). The elderly gent i purchased them from said they were US Civil war era? The book i have (Notes on ammunition of the American civil war by Col Berkeley R. Lewis) doesn't show anything like these so guess they are probably more recent?

Secondly one of my collegues (sp) at work belongs to a metal detecting club and goes off most weekends on hunts locally. I purchased his tin of military bits and bobs which included among all the musket/pistol balls all these conical lead shot. Some have a stamp into the base (the one shown looks like a backwards 'R'. What rifle were they fired from? (They have rifling marks on them), again they are over half inch in calibre.

Thank-you all in advance,

Ben.

Attachments

• bullets 011.JPG
    bullets 011.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 39
  • bullets 008.jpg
    bullets 008.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 47
  • bullets 013.JPG
    bullets 013.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 38
The three rim-fire cartridges appear to be 56-56 Spencer. They are from the American Civil War era. I can't say what the hollow base bullets might be. Muzzle loading minie ball type, but I can't ID them beyond that. They could have been fired in one of a large number of muskets of that period.

Ray

Agree the rimfires look like .56=56 Spencers, but the other ones are not .455 Webley Mark IIs. I think they might be .450 Adams, possibly the muzzle loading version, but I will check.

Regards
tonyE