What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I.d. Needed on this .303 metalic belt

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Hi everyone, hope someone can help I.D. the belt links in this .303 belt.

Its on loan to me as I mentioned that if anyone can I.D. it the members of BOCN can.

All the .303 cases within the belt are dated 1935 apart from four which are dated 1936....so all

The .303's look as though they have been in the belt for a long time.

So.........over to you guys

thanks in advance Kev

HPIM6798.jpgHPIM6802.jpgHPIM6799.jpgHPIM6801.jpgHPIM6803.jpg

Attachments

• HPIM6804.jpg
    HPIM6804.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 13
Looks like aircraft links from first world war era - Prideaux? But ill leave it up to someone else to positively identify. Ben.

Last edited:
It is the Mark III aircraft belt designed by Prideaux and introduced about 1917. It continued in use as long as Vickers guns were used, roughly into mid WW2 years. Most were actually Mark III*, the only difference being a slight change in the radius of the corners.

The first picture is of some early links marked "Prideaux Patent" and the other is some RSAF Enfield made Mark III* links marked "EFD III*".

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• MarkIII.jpg
    MarkIII.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 21
  • Pripatent.jpg
    Pripatent.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 18
Thanks guys for such an informative reply.
The person who owns this told me it came from an RAF base.
I can see now some are marked up III* - so these will be the later type which fits the dates of the .303's

thanks again Kev.......appreciated