What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help with ID/purpose please!!

hicky1300

DCP02429.jpgHi Gents
As the sort out is drawing to a close got a few rogue items in the collection still!!
On the left is a cut down 2 pounder case. Headstamp is N (navy) 1941 2Pr No1 MKII ECC
This is 71mm tall & the internal diameter at the top is 34mm.
The taper at the top appears to have been done properly - namely drawn or spun as thickness of material is uniform & it is very round.
My feeling is a blank or charge for depth charges or something?
The projectile in the middle is 2 1/2 pounds in weight, is 150mm tall & has a diameter of 43mm (1/1/2"). Grooves for 2 drive bands.
End projectile is a 37mm but the drive bands have me stumped?!. It is also hollow with an internal thread in the base but I think it is too much space to have been purely for tracer - base fuzed HE?? It has 2 stampings above the top drive band one is a bunch of grapes (NOT a flaming grenade) the other looks like a crown over a 7 or an `M`??
Ideas as to age/origin/purpose appreciated.
Thoughts on postcards to BOCN please!!
Thanks, as ever, in advance

The right hand one is a German tracer, nice fired example. I show the type in my album.

Greetings , the case on the left is a 2Pr No1 that has been modified for use in the Hedgehog anti-submarine depth charge thrower. I include images of one th32.5x70R  AS  hs.jpgat was purpose-made. There was a cardboard extension, like a shotshell, and ignition was acheived electrically by a wire inserted in the open end.anti-sub DCTs.JPG