What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Green band on RAF wartime Bronze Green and Mustard colour bombs

DBenz

Hi,
RAF WW2 bomb colour bands.
I am seeing a green a little like Brunswick Green but a bit more blueish turquoise added ( for those with paint progs and colour space set to RGB, (not CMYK) something like RGB 11 69 22 ), on the early war Mustard coloured RAF Bombs. But then that green would be far more difficult to see on the Bronze Green bombs. However I cannot find any genuine colour photos of wartime bombs to judge what was used. Also I cannot find any colour photos of surviving in original paint wartime bronze green bombs either.
Can anyone post a decent resolution (zoom and it DOESNT breakup into pixels so readily) photo of what I seek.
Does anyone know the BS reference to the green. They would have used what paint existed straight out of a tin at the time, and there were not that many colours anyway, unlike today !

Ditto the red.

Cheers

DBenz

Mid war the colour standard was BS 381C – 1943

Light Green – B.S. No. 25
Dark Green – B.S. No. 24 (equals Air Ministry Green No. 6)
Red – B.S. No. 37

Under later editions of B.S. 381C, these became known as –

Light Brunswick Green – No. 225
Deep Bronze Green – No. 224
Signal Red – No. 537

The light green shoulder ring denotes a filling of the Amatol Group.

TimG

Hi, looking at the no.25 Light Brunswick Green and the No.26 Middle Brunswick Green, I am seeing No.26 on all surviving original colour bombs as well as wartime color photos and footage. It has a slightly darker colour and is less yellowy green, in the pics I had studied there was a definite bit of Turquoise thrown in and no yellow nature at all. No.26 it is then.
two instances of a sage green also seen.
On the sea mines both b/w and one colour pic, no contrasty green that the sage green would have given, so again No.26.

DBenz

Attachments

• Montage of RAF Bombs ORIGINAL COLOUR scld75.jpg
    Montage of RAF Bombs ORIGINAL COLOUR scld75.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 39