What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German practice stick grenade

W

ww1grenades

Just got this ww1 german practice stick grenade through the post . Wondering if to restore it or just clean it . Does anyone have any advice on what to do . And does anyone have any info on this model or pictures of them in good condition . Thanks for your help

shaun

Attachments

• SAM_0086.jpg
    SAM_0086.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 61
Shaun, it looks great just the way it is! I have a couple of practice sticks from WWI,I think they may be posted on this forum if not I will email you Bud

Cheers

MG34NZ

I would remove the rust with Evapo-Rust and then just oil it to stop further decomposition.

Hello Shaun,

It looks good - I would use the evapo-rust as Anders suggests and also - I soak the wood in a beeswax solution which restors the wood (in my opinion) plumps the crumpled lines in the wood and darkens the wood. It take about 20 years off a stick which has seen better days. It smels very stongly of the solution for about two weeks and then fades away. Oiling the head is good, I use just three in one oil but I find this only lasts for a short while - I would personally be VERY interested to know what oils other people use to protect grenades. I suppose the answer is gun oil ? BUT is it that much different to three in one ? Thx WF

Oiling grenades if they have good paint is not a good idea,dry storage is the best,getting over keen with the oil bottle will do more harm than good in the long run unless you are dealing with relics keep the oil away from any original paint finish.

MG34NZ

thanks guys for the info . i will get started on that as soon as i get the materials . cheers

thanks shaun

ive had a look for evaporust and all the distributers are in the states are there any in the uk

thanks shaun