What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 20mm cannon round

pointblank0

BOCN Supporter
Hello all. Probably a very easy one for someone who knows.......
Can you give me a full ID on this German WW2 era round. It is a 20mm, straight case, possibly phos projectile?
Any help would be grand.
Picture13.jpgPicture12.jpg

Hi Pointblank0,
It is a German WW2 2cm Oerlikon MG FF Phosphorous round, it would have had a Ph stencilled on the side of the projectile as well as a blue band near the top. The base of the projectile would have been closed with a simple plug, while the Phosphorous inside was contained in a alloy tube, the round was designed to break open upon impact with a hard target. A nice round to add to your collection thanks for showing it, i have some more info if only i can find it.
Best regards Weasel.

The marking 'wg' stands for "Hasag, Hugo Schneider AG, Altenburg plant "

Attachments

• 100_3860.jpg
    100_3860.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2cmPzbrgr(Phosphor)o.Zerel..jpg
    2cmPzbrgr(Phosphor)o.Zerel..jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 2cm Pzbrgr.Patr.(Phosphor) FFM o.Zerl..jpg
    2cm Pzbrgr.Patr.(Phosphor) FFM o.Zerl..jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
You may find this site intresting,Inert Ord .net, click on the Luftwaffe badge,then on the next page you will find a blue flashing dot marked up as reconition page,click on this and if it asks for a pass word the top one is open and the bottom one is 1945.

Tony

Thanks all for the help in this ID. I'm not really a collector of rounds, but I do like a lot of the German ammunition, especially the 20mm caliber. Great description Weasel and nice pics orpheus. Thanks for the heads up on that site Tony, I'll try it out tonight.
Cheers, Rob

A bit of information on its use: the MG-FF was the standard Luftwaffe aircraft cannon in the early years of the war, equipping the Messerschmitt Bf 109E-3 and E-4 used in the Battle of Britain (one in each wing) plus the Bf 110 and various other planes of that era. It was eventually replaced by the Mauser MG 151/20 which fired 20x82 ammo (a bottlenecked round with a wider case).

I've written about its performance in the BoB here: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/BoB.htm