What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

German 1915 Bi-metal Shell Case

MikeS0000

Hello Folks -

The bi-metal case arrived and here are a few pics of it. Quite interesting, and thanks very much for the ID of it from the Identification Forum.

The entire base (minus primer) is steel. Looks like it may have been threaded onto the upper case? Can't tell for sure. But all in all, it's pretty neat. First one I have encountered. It came from Canada where it was probably a bringback. Looks to have been in an old display as the hole in the primer is threaded. At least it didn't become a lamp! :eek:oh:

Best regards, Mike

Attachments

• Bi-Metal1.jpg
    Bi-Metal1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 25
  • Bi-Metal2.jpg
    Bi-Metal2.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 25
  • Bi-Metal3.jpg
    Bi-Metal3.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 22
  • Bi-Metal4.jpg
    Bi-Metal4.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Bi-Metal5.jpg
    Bi-Metal5.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 61
Bi metal cases

I saw a couple of these for about a year at antique shows, larger than 77mm, and heavy. Looked like there was a large internal nut thing that held them together. At $45 each they were too expensive to buy, especially to post any where, now I suppose I'll find out that they are rare and valuable !

I saw a couple of these for about a year at antique shows, larger than 77mm, and heavy. Looked like there was a large internal nut thing that held them together. At $45 each they were too expensive to buy, especially to post any where, now I suppose I'll find out that they are rare and valuable !

Well, I can't advise you on the rarity of these. I paid $14 for this one on ebay and didn't know it was a bi-metal until it was pointed out on the forum. Shows how ignorant I am! :smile:

- Regards, Mike