What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General question about drones and missiles

sksvlad

What is the difference between drones and missiles? Both are aerial vehicles, both are guided by software, and (I assume) guided missiles have a software mode when their targets can be changed. This question is because of my ignorance.

Some guided missiles can loiter.

Alarm is one example.

I think these days the two terms are interchangeable

The reason I ask this is that the news keeps on saying that so-and-so launched an attack using 100 missiles and 1000 drones. All of them are designed to explode at the target.

Anything that is thrown as a weapon can be called a missile

News reporters are not known for the accuracy of their reporting.

The reason I ask this is that the news keeps on saying that so-and-so launched an attack using 100 missiles and 1000 drones. All of them are designed to explode at the target.
I think in this case they mean supersonic vehicles with missiles and propellor driven -iranian- vehicles with drones.

There is a lot of overlap.

Ukraine is producing turbojet powered drones like the Palianytsia which are much faster than the propellor driven drones.

Conventional Cruise missiles are generally subsonic