What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuze I.D Needed, MZZ44?

Darren

I am looking for an I.D on this fuze, I am assuming that it is a MZZ44 fuze and i believe that it is Swiss? I have looked on the net but cannot find any reference.

I am looking for any info on this fuze, also if anyone has any drawings of the internals or a cutaway example would be great.

Fuze body is stamped: MANIP.MZZ44 595 - 8206

Thanks,
Darren

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 24
Darren,

You're correct, it's a Swiss mechanical time fuze with a point detonating (PD) backup fitted to the 10.5 and 15cm projectiles.
Yours is the MZZ44 Manip.
There were at least 6 models of the MZZ44 (MZZ44.00, MZZ44.01, MZZ44.02, MZZ44 1st variant, MZZ44 Manip) plus a variant manufactured for Turkey using brass.
This fuze was designed for use with projectiles to be used for attacking troops within trenches and manufactured by the Tavaro company.
It could be set in steps of 1/10 second upto a maximum of 10 seconds, if the timer was set to zero then the fuze was PD only.

I hope you find this information helpful

Regards

Pete

View attachment MZZ44 Fuzes.pdf

Last edited:
Hi Pete,

Thanks for the info, just what i was looking for and the photo of all of the different fuzes is great!

Is that photo from a book? or are they fuzes in your collection?

Darren

Darren,

It's from a Swiss book called Die Zunder der Schweizer Armee 1848-2000 by Peter Jaeggi
The ISBN number is 3-85648-131-1.
It's all in German but still an excellent book on Swiss fuzes.

Cheers

Pete