What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French? 75mm shell casing identification help

IvanReed

Hello I need help to identify a shell casing. It was my grandmothers and been handed down. It is a 75mm shell casing The markings on the bottom read as follows.

at the 12 O'clock position reads 75 DEC there is a small mark above the "E" in DEC that is a small chevron with the letter F above it. In the 6 O'clock position reads D.1827L.16.D

Any help would be very much appriciated. The casing itself is engraved with what i would say is flowers oriental looking and 4 chinese symbols which Iam trying to look up now

Cheers

75 DEC = 75 mm De Campagne = 75 mm Field Gun. The case is dated 1916. The case should be 350 mm long. It is for the French M1897 field gun.

Thank You, that has been very helpful, do you know what the "D" is for do you think the 1827 is the batch number? have been told the "L" is for Loyer the manufacturer of the propelent