What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

French 37x85 round ID req'd?

Cirus

Hi all,

With reference to the picture below, can anyone ID this round? On the Headstamp is "37-85 PDPs 37 1.17" and on the side of the projectile is stamped " R 1772 27 1 -18"

Regs
Cirus

Attachments

• Phone Pictures.jpg
    Phone Pictures.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 81
Hi Cirus,
It looks like a WW1 French high capacity HE round to me, there are a few members like Gspragge who will be able to give you some more info hopefully.
Best regards Weasel.

Yes Model 1916 HE. The brass tip is a problem how ever as these have a flat brass screwed in tip with firing pin. Take a look inside and see what it is like. Might be a souvenir tip.

Attachments

• 5356cbdd6bfaf617994025d34dfef1ad_2211.jpg
    5356cbdd6bfaf617994025d34dfef1ad_2211.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 96
Hi,

Thanks for your reply, the tip itself has a good thread on it and on the base, there appears to have been a very small cylinder (poss. a firing-pin). I'm very surprised at the condition of this round (it looks mint!) considering it's age. Might be a silly question, but what do you mean by a souvenir tip?

Regs
Cirus.

Last edited:
These don't have a point, when there is a point it has generally bean added afterwards. Is there any internal parts in yours views of the top and inside. The brass tip is the firing pin

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpg
    IMG_1936.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 16
These were sold as souvenirs and maybe they were released with nothing in the nose and this point was made to make it look complete. Other tips are a push fit and sort of hammered like a rivet on the inside. It might be very easy to modify your point to look like the proper thing as finding a spare brass part is impossible as they are only in projectiles. Basically you just have to make the tip flat at the same level as the top of the projectile, then unscrew it a bit and add the screw driver slot, then screw it back.

Last edited:
Just got these two specimen and have narrowed down the ID for the Mle 1916 H.E. 1917.
The pointy one is throwing me off. Perused all of Gspragge's pics, but nothing seems to match up.
As it is a fired projectile, the remains of the stampings on the top driving band are obscured.
Any help in IDing is appreciated.

Rick

Shell, 37mm 001 (Small).jpg Shell, 37mm 002 (Small).jpg Shell, 37mm 003 (Small).jpg Shell, 37mm 004 (Small).jpg

I think you have an M80 shot. It is the same as an uncapped M51 type, shorter then the M74 for the AT gun.