What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First World War Pneumatic Mortar bomb????

Dronic69

Premium Member
Hi All,

I was visiting a Mate on the w/end and he pulled this one out of the closet - thought it may be a WW1 pneumatic mortar bomb???

Anyone ideas on what it is?

Apologies for the quality of the photos - it's about a foot (1') in length, didn't have anything to measure the diameter, but hoping the shape and the unique construction will be enough to ID it.

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• IMG_3306.jpg
    IMG_3306.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_7062.jpg
    IMG_7062.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 55
It's possible, but it doesn't look like any I've seen. The size and shape is more like some of the naval oddball pieces - dye marker, smoke float, etc.

I've searched BOCN and yes it doesn't seem to match any pnuematic mortar bombs discussed...humm getting more senile in the old age!

Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Hi,
Like UK subs, i've never seen this munition befor in the old mortar family (WW1) but during 70's, it existed a river mine (mine fluviael) in France which had the same form. The body was on baklite with little antenna on the nose and similar stabiliser.
best regards

Hi Spgr30,

Do you happen to have any more information on the river mine?
(Tried googling, but nothing came up)

Thank you.

Cheers
Drew

Hi everybody,

it's pure imagination, but it let me think on a body of SD 4HL with a russian WW II tail fin (same tail fins fixation of small russian training bombs) !

Yoda

Hi Spgr30,

Do you happen to have any more information on the river mine?
(Tried googling, but nothing came up)

Thank you.

Cheers
Drew

Seems like the mine was Dutch, or Norwegian? BLU-97 knows, he's corrected me on it before.

I dont know the piece also. We had an rivermine but the floater was made of plastic with electronics in it had two "wings" and was of different shape.
Sorry I cant help you.
regards erik