What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

EOD Insignia - What country?

GregN

HI Guys, picked this up for .50 Cents at the last gunshow. Any ideas outhere as to what country it might be from?

Greg

Attachments

• BDPara.jpg
    BDPara.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 93
After over a year, I thought I'd bump this back up for another shot at finding out more about this patch.

Greg

Bomb Disposal Insignia

Hello GregN,

Never seen this Insignia !

It's really strange these para wings on a EOD insignia.
I've no idea from wich country it's coming.

Yoda

It is a strange one Yoda. I should mention that the reverse has a heat-sensitive glue. I guess you just iron the patch on your overalls?

Would a EOD tech need to be para qualified to do his job?

Greg

Only when defuzing the bomb when he's still falling.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Regards,

Chris

It is a strange one Yoda. I should mention that the reverse has a heat-sensitive glue. I guess you just iron the patch on your overalls?

Would a EOD tech need to be para qualified to do his job?

Greg

How NOOO, you must not be Para to be EOD Tech (I was never EOD Tech then!) but the possibility that I see is that it is the badge of a Bomb Disposal Team (Unit) attached on a paratroops unit.

Yoda

Only when defuzing the bomb when he's still falling.:bigsmile::bigsmile:

Regards,

Chris

That's the story of the meeting between an EOD Tech and a Para in the air :

EOD Tech : "How, you are descending ?"
Para : "Yes, and you ?"
EOD Tech : "I'm going above !"

Yoda

Glad to see there is another one of these patches out there. I have attached a photo of one I have had for years and have not been able to identify it. The colors are different, but the patch is basically the same. Also attached two others that I have not been able to identify. I have about 2,500 different worldwide bomb disposal/EOD patches and badges, but some still escape me. As for parachute qualified EOD techs, there are several countries, including the US, that have them, but none that I have found wear this patch.

Attachments

• Unknown, Para-EOD.jpg
    Unknown, Para-EOD.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Unknown, multicolor.jpg
    Unknown, multicolor.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Unknown, 7.jpg
    Unknown, 7.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 16
The letters BD indicate an English speaking country if BD stands for Bomb Disposal. If it is British it is unlikely to be a badge worn by RLC ATs, the Royal Engineers already have their own bomb disposal badge but without wings. The colours may be right for RAF but I have no idea whether they have a bomb disposal parachute capability.

HI Guys, picked this up for .50 Cents at the last gunshow. Any ideas outhere as to what country it might be from?

Greg

Looks a combination of the RAF Bomb Disposal badge and a British Parawing. I do not think that it is official.

I think that from the 3 badges the right one is a pre WW-2 Tjechoslovakianexplosive expert insignia.

Last edited:
I'm thinking I got these two (center) while visiting Australian AF EOD? Seem pretty close, though missing the parachute.

Attachments

• DSCN0139.jpg
    DSCN0139.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 42
Thanks for the ID of the metal badge Antoon. Jeff, your two are Australian patches and there is a similarity. I have always thought that because of the color and design that the initial patch in question was British unofficial RAF bomb disposal. Having seen the other one here though with entirely different colors I still think it is unofficial, but I'm not sure about the RAF part now. Jeff, nice little grouping of patches. You show that grouping and I sit here with about 2500 different ones and you show me two or three I don't have. Someday I will figure out a hobby that has a definite limit on what to collect and work on that. Bob

Hi Guys, I'm happy that there has been some dialogue regarding this patch. I agree it has to be a unofficial patch and from a English speaking country. The fact that it's a glue-back (heat activated) mean anything?

Greg

Interesting. The only thing the glue back means to me is that it is a modern patch, but I am not sure when that style started to be made. I don't associate any particular country with the glue back patches. The version I have does not have a glue back. It is post WWII however because some of the threads glow under an ultraviolet light. Bob

Greg, your's is certainly UK as for the "BD". Great find!

Here the initial version:

England_Military--.jpg