What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drill Fuze No 198 & 400.

ron3350

This is a Drill fuze No198 & 400 but has a flat base so must be for practice in setting the timing -so it seems?
The No 400 is similar to the No 198 but has a different ring filling. Both are for the Navy.

Fuze is marked : DRILL FUZE No 198 & 400 11 1944 ?3B ZW in a circle.
No 198 ^ 11 N FL 2/38 9
The base is flat , never threaded and is 62mm wide. 54mm high. Is it used for fuze setting ? It cannot fit into a shell.

Attachments

• Drill a.jpeg
    Drill a.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 35
  • Drill b.jpeg
    Drill b.jpeg
    272.2 KB · Views: 35
  • Drill c.jpeg
    Drill c.jpeg
    443 KB · Views: 34
  • Drill d.jpeg
    Drill d.jpeg
    454.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Drill e.jpeg
    Drill e.jpeg
    452.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Drill f.jpeg
    Drill f.jpeg
    497.9 KB · Views: 32
@ron3350

Ron,
Your fuze started life as a No. 198 manufactured by FL - Ferranti Ltd., in February 1938. It appears to have been filled in September 1938, I can't make out the filler's monogram
It was converted to a No. 198/400 Drill Fuze in 1944. I think the 11 might well be an "N"
It is slightly unusual it that when a fuze is modified or converted, the original manufacturer's monogram should be barred out.
It's doubtful that any of the other components are from the same original fuze.
I would suggest it has ended its life as a desk or mantlepiece ornament, the thread for the cap has been machined off, as has the 2" GS threads cut off flush with the taper seat. I've never seen window/vent filled with lead.

TimG

Last edited: