What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different primer for Russian 45 mm AT shell case

H

Hoeksel

I am familiar with 2 primer types for the Russian 45 mm AT gun. See the picture with the 2 primer types shown; 1 for AT guns (small) and 1 for tank guns (large). The 3rd shell case is Russian stamped but the threaded hole clearly needs a different primer.

Can anybody clarify this?

Attachments

• 45mm Russia.jpg
    45mm Russia.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 52
Hallo Kornel, it can be that the case has been used by the Finnish Army, they have used there own primers, they have also made their own cases for the 45 mm, Ben

Hi Ben,

The 2 Finnish 45 mm cases and a 37 mm case I have, use a smaller and different primer (16 mm, straight edge vs. 20 mm, concave edge. But the Finnish 15,2 cm Bofors case has a comparable primer. So I think you are right!

Kornel

Hoeksel, your large Russian primer should be an enlectical one (designated VE) since the tank guns were electrically primed. Your primere here has been exchanged for a regular percussion one.

Ben is absolutely right about the Russian cases which got reloaded in Finland and were modified to use screw type primers.