What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference between the Tail Pistol No. 30 Mk II and No. 30 Mk III

Antoon

Ordnance approved
What is the exact modification between the Tail Pistol No. 30 Mk II and No. 30 Mk III.

It seems that with the Mk II the main trouble was friction on the striker caused by transmission of torque from the revolving arming nut. Therefore prevented its movement on impact, even if complete armed.
The modification was removal the plain portion of the striker spindle. The modified Pistols becoming the No. 30 Mk III. New manufactured became the No. 30 Mk IV

What was removed exactly of the striker spindle?

Greetings - Antoon

I think I found the answer myself.

The red part in the picture was removed. Can someone confirm this.

The same was done with the No. 28.

Greetings - Antoon

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2024-08-28 om 22.36.26.png
    Schermafbeelding 2024-08-28 om 22.36.26.png
    86.2 KB · Views: 27
Oeps typo,

I mean the difference between the Mk III and the Mk III*

The Mk III* has also a robust arming fork and revised safety plate.

Greetings

The No 30 Mk.III* Pistol was a No 30 MkIII with a more robust arming fork, a revised safety plate and a plain portion on the striker to reduce friction.

The No 30 Mk.III* Pistol was a No 30 MkIII with a more robust arming fork, a revised safety plate and a plain portion on the striker to reduce friction.
I think there is a mishap in the text in the book you quoted from (British Bomb and Rocket Pistols and Fuzes 1914-2007 ?). See in that book the text at the No 28 pistol. There they mention no plain portion.

If you take a look at the arming spindle of the No. 30 Mk II and Mk III and compare this with that of the No. 30 Mk III* and Mk IV, you wil see at the Mk II and Mk III there is a plane portion at the top of the arming spindle. That is not present at the modified one (Mk III*) and the new produced Mk IV. This is also the difference between the No. 28 Mk II and the No. 28 Mk II* and the new produced manufactured No. 28 Mk III,

Greetings

Attachments

• Schermafbeelding 2024-08-29 om 12.32.36.png
    Schermafbeelding 2024-08-29 om 12.32.36.png
    168.9 KB · Views: 10