What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Devon - a few interesting finds.

Millsman

Premium Member
Just back from Devon and thought I'd share a few things found there.

On the north Devon coast is a small place called Putsborough. Mainly a fabulous beach, an apartment block and some million pound beach houses. However, on the hillside overlooking the beach are some relics from WW2. Putsborough bay was where they trained Coastal Command crews to attack German submarines using the Leigh Light. On the hillside is a large concrete arrow that pointed toward the dummy submarine target at the other side of the bay. Next to it is a spotting hut - one of three around the bay - where the bombing results were recorded.

SSCN4504.JPGSSCN4505.JPG

About 50 yards away is a dummy bunker constructed by US troops training at Putsborough for D Day. The Bunker is a solid lump and was mainly used for flame thrower practice.

SSCN4506.JPG

Along the coastal path there was an interesting sign, showing the history of the area.

SSCN4509.JPG

Lastly, in Lynmouth we found a pub called the 'Ancient Mariner' which had a rather nice torpedo outside.

SSCN4503.JPG

Devonian (from Wikipedia)
This geological period was named after Devon by Roderick Murchison and Adam Sedgwick in the 1840s and is the only British county whose name is used worldwide as the basis for a geological time period.[22]
Just back from Devon and thought I'd share a few things found there.

On the north Devon coast is a small place called Putsborough. Mainly a fabulous beach, an apartment block and some million pound beach houses. However, on the hillside overlooking the beach are some relics from WW2. Putsborough bay was where they trained Coastal Command crews to attack German submarines using the Leigh Light. On the hillside is a large concrete arrow that pointed toward the dummy submarine target at the other side of the bay. Next to it is a spotting hut - one of three around the bay - where the bombing results were recorded.

View attachment 199326View attachment 199327

About 50 yards away is a dummy bunker constructed by US troops training at Putsborough for D Day. The Bunker is a solid lump and was mainly used for flame thrower practice.

View attachment 199328

Along the coastal path there was an interesting sign, showing the history of the area.

View attachment 199330

Lastly, in Lynmouth we found a pub called the 'Ancient Mariner' which had a rather nice torpedo outside.

View attachment 199329
Interesting stuff and nice to see no graphiti in site. And its stunningly beautiful too. Any details on the torpedo? TIG.

Sorry, but I've no detailed knowledge of torpedoes. I can offer another photo, so someone my be able to identify it. You could always phone the pub?

SSCN4502.JPG