What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

could some one id this gatling gun belt ? calibre? THANKS

banksy-2k10

hello

im told this is a gatling gun belt of a navle ship with rounds from 3 diffrent countrys ?? dose any one have any info on the calibre or head stamp ?

kind regards
alex
alexanderstevens75@yahoo.com

Attachments

• 276.jpg
    276.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 277.jpg
    277.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 278.jpg
    278.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 286.jpg
    286.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 40
They are 20mm cases from the Phalanx CIWS used by a number of navies, including the Royal Navy. The Close Inboard Weapon System is used against sea skimmimg missiles.

The calibre is the same as the Air Force M61.

Regards
TonyE

Hi Alex ,

I don't think they are CIWS/M61 cases as the the case for that is 20x102mm and brass.also the CIWS/M61 doesn't have a fluted chamber,as the stripe marks indicate.
These ,going by the pics are approx 160mm long and look to be 30mm calibre and alloy or lacquered steel. Possibly of Soviet origin? The links certainly have a soviet look to them!

cheers
Bob

Wow lol never had 2 very different I'd's befor ! I'll ad some exact messarments I'n a min thanks for your time

right ive added some more pics and have some info ...

the link is 5 1-2 intch long 3 intch wide the round it 7 intch long and the base is 2 intch wide the girth is 5 intch aprox

eatch r004.jpgound has the folllowing writing on it ...

30mm TP-T
8200317-3
A.ID83G001SO68

Thats in whit then in black it says

7400730-1ACN833006-102

001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
005.jpg

KIND REGARDS
alex
alexanderstevens75@yahoo.com

also dose any one know if there worth mutch ?

Long time since i've used inches!
Looking more like a 30 x 170mm Oerlikon , i think 'Goalkeeper' , Like a 30mm version of CIWS.
Measuring in mm is much more exact and more likely to get you the correct answer,whatever it is!.

cheers
Bob

Now we have some dimensions I agree with Kahu1. Also I should have engaged brain before operating keyboard as I was fully aware that the Phalanx does not have a flurted chamber but chose to ignore that!

I don't know enough about the Goalkeper to make any further comment other than to say that the 30mm Oe usually has a headstamp and the links look wrong (certainly for the KCB)

Regards
TonyE

I believe these are 30 x 173 cases, which are the same as used for the gun on the American A-10 Thunderbolt aircraft. This type of case should be light for it's size (and also non-magnetic) as they are made from aluminium.

Alex,

I agree with Falcon you have a number of 30mm Goalkeeper (GAU8 - A10 Thunderbolt ) aluminium cases, I am puzzled by the markings around the case neck, having seen a large number of these case a 1000 or 2 post firing with Goalkeeper I have never seen cases marked like yours, will take some Photo's of mine and Post. Your links are not for these cases. These rounds are made by a few manufactures and are a NATO standard round.

Richard

Web BOCN 18-07-11 024.jpgWeb BOCN 18-07-11 022.jpgWeb BOCN 18-07-11 023.jpgWeb BOCN 18-07-11 021.jpg

Last edited: