What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Copper HEAT slug

Slick

Got a box filled with goodies today. From way up north EU. Filled chock full of stuff. Some very interesting pieces. A copper slug really caught my attention. Had seen a show, or two, on these types of warheads. The copper cone turning into a molten slug that causes great concern to people driving tanks and such in a war zone. Besides the solidified slug, there were a couple of other pieces of cone that apparently did not reach "critical mass" and ended up being just so much scrap metal. I suppose they could be a problem for those hiding behind a tank.
Although I am fairly cerain this slug is what I think it is, along with the other copper bits; a definitive ID or confirmation that that's what it is, would be most appreciated. And also wondering if anyone else has seen or has one in their collections. For comparison.
And yea, all that came in one box! Awesome!

Rick

Rune parcel 001 (Small).jpg Rune parcel 010 (Small).jpg Rune parcel 012.jpg Rune parcel 016 (Small).jpg

Last edited:
Slick, Looks to for the 3.5" or smaller. The tail does look like what the 3.5 does, but the 2.36 almost does that also. Looks like it lost some of its mass when it hit. If you could give a weight on it, it might help. Cheers, Bruce.

Thanks Spotter. I note that I even commented on that referenced thread :tinysmile_angry2_t:. Three things happen when you get old: first, you lose your memory, and I forget the other two.

Rick

Here are a few cones and slugs from the collection.

DSCN2282.jpgDSCN2283.jpgDSCN2284.jpg

Rick, If it weighs that amount, it should be in the 3.5" range or something similar. Cheers, Bruce.

Jeff

Your third pic. With the glass cone. What's the story on that?

Rick

And thanks for that info Bruce.

That is the cone from the 15lb demolition shaped charge. Glass is an excellent cone material, just not very "front-line" worthy. Beside it you have the Copperhead cone and slug, then the Maverick cone.

Thanks for that, Jeff. Would love to see the remains of a spent glass slug.

On an ID note on mine, chances are it is of the Carl Gustav round variety. As are the "failed" ones.

Rick

Carl Gustav being 84mm, that's around the right size category. Thanks for the info. Cheers, Bruce.