What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chrome plated shell case and projectile, what is it?

Derek

Can anyone identify this for me? I have had it for years, purchased in a antique shop on King's Rd, London, back in 1969. The base is bakelite, the only visible markings on the shell case are a large and small letter T. Any ideas?
Thanks...............
Derek

Attachments

• Chrome1.jpg
    Chrome1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 83
  • Chrome3.jpg
    Chrome3.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 84
  • Chrome4.jpg
    Chrome4.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Chrome5.jpg
    Chrome5.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Chrome6.jpg
    Chrome6.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 76
No idea exactly, but certainly worth having the plating removed. Somebody here should know what it is. Is diameter 37 or 40 mm on the projectile or across the case neck.
It does look like a 1 1/2 Pdr. to me if it's 37mm. what is the case length.

The case length is 123mm or 4.8". The projectile diameter is 37mm and the case neck 38mm.

Last edited:
Thanks to Gspragge and Roger, I am now slightly more enlightened! Now does anyone have a photo of a 1-Pdr Vickers shell? Also does anyone have more information on this weapon?
Derek

I do and I can't find it ! , basically though it is a 1 Pr Maxim gun with a wider feed slot. Or it looks like a 2 Pr Maxim which was developed from it.

Your round is worth a lot more if you can get the plating removed ~

I have a 11/2 pdr round like yours. The projectile is stamped 11/2 FS( forged steel).other markings too faint. These are not common and this is a projectile which is different from the more common one which is a larger version of the common 1 pdr Vickers.I hhave another case with no markings with the regular 1 pdr projectile which is the 11/4 pounder parent of the 11/2 pdr. The 1 pdr Vickers is commonly unmarked on the base. As Gspragge said, if you can remove the chrome, it will be worth a lot more. I have seen less than 6-7 of the 11/2 pdrs, they are probably commoner in the UK, but still are rare.

chrome

chrome plate can be chemically removed try a local electro- plating company for advise or it can come off mechanicaly as it is often fairly soft. usually has a lvery thin layer of copper plate underneath.