What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chinese round ID.

brass64

Premium Member
Want to know what this Chinese 122 x 757 round is used for. Artillery or AA or Navy. Both Inert. Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 06 038.jpg
    Picture 06 038.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 147
Do you have that round? Have some been sold as Surplus in NZ? Very little Chinese stuff, especially in artillery calibres, seems to turn up as surplus. Sorry I can't help you with the ID.

Yes, they are in my little collection. An Importer brought them in from China for a couple of collectors a year or so back. There are no surplus Chinese rounds In NZ. I was offered 130mm rounds at about $900 NZ, they are still in China (didn't buy). So obviosly are available.

The 122mm rounds are not used by the People's Liberation Army Navy, except possibly for some trials involving sticking artillery pieces on ships as makeshift (very makeshift) naval gunfire support. The 122mm artillery round is used in both self-propelled and towed artillery pieces by the People's Liberation Army. None for anti-aircraft artillery and it is nice round there.

Very nice round! Had it not been labeled, I would have guessed it a 130mm round. What is the length of the brass case?

My latest copy of Jane's Ammunition is 10 years old, but it does list a Russian gun using a 785mm long case. I would venture to guess that Norinco has copied that pattern of ammunition.

Gun Data:122mm Corps Gun m1931/37 (A19) and field guns 390/1, 390/2, yes designed in 1931! Some guns were given to Spain in 1945 that had been captured by the Germans from the Russians. Quite a number of former communist countries use the gun, along with Spain.

The top is slightly coned in and a magnet won't stick to it.The opening measures 125mm. Thanks

The Russian gun M-30 was produced in China as the Type 54 The People's Liberation Army now use a reverse-enginered D-30 122mm howitzer as their standard artillery piece. Could this round and case come from that?

The howitzers use a much shorter case. The big case has 7 powder bags that can be removed to adjust the range.

The howitzers use a much shorter case. The big case has 7 powder bags that can be removed to adjust the range.
and watching round itself you will not find lot of how rounds with double rotating band.

Translating the characters, the case fis rom the Type 60 122mm towed gun which is a copy of the Russian D-74 122mm towed gun. If I could get a clearer picture of the projectile's writing I could tell you what it is. It appears to be a Type 69 122mm projecile but alas I need a clearer photo. The projectile facing upwards so I could read the characters better would help too . :) The case and projectile MAY be from different rounds.

Cheers,

GI Zhou

there is no markings on reverse of proj. Have enclosed closer view of markings.

Attachments

• Picture 06 039.jpg
    Picture 06 039.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 38
This shell is used for type60 122mm cannon,copyed from D-74 122mm cannon,not A-19 122mm cannon.
In 1970’s PLA,type 60 122mm cannon was equipped to Artillery Regiment of army,or Artillery Division.
"禁坦" on the cartridge mines the shell can't be used for tank cannon

By my accounts it is a copy of the Russian 122-MM OF-472. I have never seen the Chinese copy of the round. Do you mind if I use the images for the EOD publication to show this particular version?

杀 = High Explosiv

爆 =kill consequently Fragment
爆 equivalent to soviet marking OF
15 : serial number
69 : year manufacturing
13 : Code factory

072_4rCYzowdw77O.jpg074_iN4ILiMKcm1K.jpg073_cikU7Dd1s1uq.jpg

length : 622 mm
Weight : 27,3 kg
Explosive : TNT 3 kg

So is the base diameter 143mm like the Russian 122x785R round for the M1931/37, M1943 and D-25 ?
Which is , IIRC , a straight-sided case, unlike this one.

This is the Russian original then:

Round designation: 3VOF2
Projectile designation: 53-OF-472
Case designation: 54-G-472
Fuze: V429 (53-V-025U)
Propellant primer (percussion/electric): GUV-7
Complete propelling charge: 54-BN-472
Propellant charge inside case: ZhN-4

122mm.jpg

Mogway,

What manual or book did those images come from. They are really nice internal images.

Joe