What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cartridge RCL, 3.45 inch WB ("Wallbuster")

mikemoneypenny

Has anyone got any pictures of the ammunition for the "Burney Gun" (Cartridge RCL, 3.45 inch WB ("Wallbuster")).
I have found a few pictures of the weapon system but not the ammunition. Does anyone know if it had a perforated cartridge case?
Many Thanks

Have a search of the forum. I think I posted a picture last year.

I wrote an article on the Burney guns, including the 3.45 inch, for the International Ammunition Association journal that was also reprinted in the ECRA journal these last two months. If you are not a member of the IAA or ECRA you should be, but PM me for a copy.

Regards
TonyE

I believe there is a photo of a round in Hogg's book "Artillery". There are a few pages of color plates in the book of the different rounds of ammo.

There were two versions of the case. One had segments in the base that blew out and the other had a series of large holes in the side of the case that blew out.

There are pictures of both cases in this thread http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/71690-British-3.45-RCL-DRILL?highlight=recoiless

Other pictures have been posted on the forum, you should be able to find them by using the search feature.

There is a description of the gun and images of both types of round in "British & American Artillery of World War 2" by Ian Hogg

Last edited: