What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you ID this projectile fragment?

Brian Keith

I'm trying to ID this projectile fragment. It was brought back to the US after WW II by a US soldier who served in an 105mm artillery battalion. It is possible that it may be the base of a US 105mm but I dont know. As you should be able to see, it has the numerals 3658, I dont see any other markings. The outside is threaded, as is the inside. The overall diameter is about 90 to 95mm, but as you can see it appears to have impacted at high velocity a very hard surface, possibly very thick tank armor. The interior threads are now cone shaped; I think it is deformed from the impact. There appears to be wood fibers stuck in some of the exterior threads now. See photo's.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
BKW

DSC_0031.JPGDSC_0027.JPGDSC_0026.JPGDSC_0025.JPGDSC_0024.JPGDSC_0023.JPGDSC_0020.JPGDSC_0019.JPG

By your photo number 7, it looks like the thread adapter for a 5 inch 38 cal, 6 inch 47 cal, or 8 inch 55 cal U.S. Navy projo, which adapts the smaller threads of the fuze to the larger mouth threads of the projo.

A zoomed out photo of the side of the ring would help. Also, if you get a thread gage and try to measure the thread pitch (threads per inch of the threads) it tcould also help.

Hello HAZORD,
The side of the ring pretty much all looks like photo #3, the best threads left are in photo #4, I don't have a thread guage but from thread to thread it looks like it is 1/8th of an inch. It is interesting that it may be from a naval projectile. Thanks for the info! I wonder what was the reason he saved this piece.
BKW