What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can you ID this 57mm? projectile?

Brian Keith

I'm trying to ID this projectile I've had for a while. As you should be able to see, it has a numeral 4, a five pointed star and a navy anchor on it. It is 212mm overall, the diameter seems to be for a 57mm gun, the base fuze well is 18mm in diameter, the rotating band is 20mm high and there is 37mm of shell below the rotating band.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
BKW
DSC_0013.JPGDSC_0015.JPGDSC_0017.JPG

It looks like a 6 Pdr Navy, which could date from late 1800's up to WWII in some of the less high tech applications. It could be U.S. mfg and is most likely not UK manufactured as they usually stamped their ID in the projo body. If you had the diameter of the threaded hole in the base, Left or Right hand thread, and the thread pitch, that could help to identify which fuze it took, and therefore who produced it.

Hello HAZORD,
The diameter of the fuze well seems to about 18mm or US 11/16th possibly 3/4. It is fine threaded, and screws in counter clockwise. I'll try to get a definitive answer on the size and thread question.
Thanks for the Info you gave already!
BKW