What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

By Vehicle to the South Pole

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
I had a very old & dear friend come round to see me today, Jason DeCartret the renowned polar explorer . He has broken the world record for the fastest vehicular trip from the edge of the pack ice to the South pole twice . His latest effort last year was under 3 days ! If you Google his name the details will come up . Vehicle is a heavily converted Toyota Tacoma with most of the work done by Lotus Cars .The attached scans were taken today & I'm the good looking one on the left .
For you gun enthusiasts on BOCN , when Jason was hunting poachers back in the 1990's , favoured weapon was the 7.62 SLR . On his Arctic travels [he's walked to the North pole 4 times] , favoured polar bear protection weapon was the Mossberg 12 gauge with single slug cartridges . Next year he's planning to drive from the South pole to the North pole via the whole of S & N America . I'll post his itinerary at a later date but he would be pleased to meet any N. American BOCN members who make themselves known to him at his various stops . I hope this is of interest to fellow members .

Attachments

• mvc-566s.jpg
    mvc-566s.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 53
  • mvc-564s.jpg
    mvc-564s.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 46
Nice to see a photo of you Mike. I always imagined you wearing a halo. Going to hitch a ride on the next adventure?

Gerald. Very nice of you say that . Most people assume a set of little horns . Sadly , I don't think my endurance is up to a trip like that these days but try & look my pal up when hits CA . Thanks . Mike.

Thanks for posting the info. I think it would be fancinating to sit down and hear his stories, and to be able to study all the engineering that went into the vehicle. I really like to learn about special applications engineering.

Chris. No as we were late for lunch but it is totally UK road legal & taxed although you may have noticed it has Guernsey plates . It was originally purchased second hand in Miami & then shipped to the UK for conversion . The special wheels alone cost 5K each & he spent 200K on the complete conversion . I will get to drive it at a later date somewhere off-road. Mike.

Lookin' good Mike and WOW what an amazing set of wheels. That's what you call a proper off roader!

Dave.

Mike,
I would of thought you were the guy on the right! Would he happen to be in Ohio anytime soon?

Mark . When I get his route for next year , I'll post it on BOCN . If he goes through Ohio , look him up . He'll be pleased to chat with you . Mike.