What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

british wooden ammo boxes 303 , 250 rounds

smle2009

Lovely box Tony, it has got me baffled! I wonder if they tried a different configuration of bandolier. How many rounds did a horse shoe charger hold?
Cheers
Gary

Hi Gary,
there is another thing about this box has me baffled namely the 'A rifle only' marking.
A theory put forward that it was ammo intended for rifles only as there was a problem with case separation in the modified Bren gun.
But for some reason this has not 'sat well' with me as surely being marked up as Rifles Only would have indicated rifle only use better.
Why the large letter A and rifle in singular?
Maybe ammo for a test rifle A? would make explain the small amount of ammo for a box this size?
If this is the case it would mean that there must be/was a box marked up 'B rifle only' and possibly C ect.

Sorry I do not know how many rounds the horse shoe charger holds(wish I had one to find out from:tinysmile_cry_t4:)

Tony