What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British 25 Pound 1945 Shell Case

Brian Keith

Here is a British 25 Pound artillery shell case. Length of the case is 290mm, the mouth is about 90mm. On the base is a great variety of markings. I am guessing that it has been reloaded a number of times. I even see a Canadian mark. See photos for details.
Any information would be appreciated, I would like to know more about the various marks, and who originally made the shell.
Thanks in advance.
BKW

DSC_0007.JPGDSC_0010.JPG

RM/C - Robert Mitchell & Co., St. Laurent, Quebec, Canada. Was one of Canada's biggest producers of brass cases during WW2.

It appears the case was made in 1945

CF - The easiest way to explain C is that it denotes the nature of the propellant and originally meant Cordite but even by about the 1920s had become to denote a propellant other than Black Powder (P). The F denotes a full charge as opposed to a reduced Charge (R)

I suspect VAL denotes Valcartier but I'm unaware of it's significance.

Most of the other marks are inspection stamps.

It might be wishful thinking, but I think the primer is stamped Cr/C which would denote Cherrier, the location of the filling factory.

I can't make out any of the other stamps.

TimG

Great Info TimG! Thanks! Yes, you are correct about the "Cr/C" on the primer. The primer is also dated twice, one, 10/42 over a Q and one 9/42.
Yours,
BKW

The Q denotes that the primer is suitable for Quick Fire ordnance
The first date is the date of manufacture.
The second date is the date of filling.

TimG