What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boresight

I would just like to ask if anyone would have any information on boresights as im having trouble finding out what it would have been used for (tank/heavy gun).

If it would help I can upload a few images of stamped codes and what is in the identification plate.

Dimensions:

It is approximately 535 mm in length,

The two disks (what i could think to call them at the time are 125 mm in diameter and have two metal pads on one side (my thinking was that theses were to centre the sight in the barrel.

Any Information or advice i=on where to look for more info would be greatly appreciated.

It does have a case :) so its not just wrapped up in cardboard.

Attachments

• SDC10825.jpg
    SDC10825.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 28
Hi James,I cant help you much with the boresight for tanks other than to suggest that it is placed in the breech end of the barrel to align the gunsight,(so they are both aiming at the same impact point),boresighting on ww2 aircraft was to align the guns so that the bullets converged at a given distance to concentrate maximum firepower in the smallest area of the target,usually between 200 and 400 yards for machine guns,hope this helps,
Regards,Don,

Yes your information helped :)
It was a birthday present from my grandad as he had mentioned it before.

Yes it was the way of making sure you were shooting in the right area before all of the laser and computer guided systems? but i have only ever seen one at a museum in Maldon and they didn't have it labeled as anything, after being confused for about 10 minutes i left it and continued to look around the collection.

Its a nice addition to what i have amassed in the last few years, my collection doesn't scratch those on here but its slowly growing :D
i was wondering more in the way of what would this one have been used for or were they used on anything of the right bore size?