What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Booby trap Mills ?

ludokhan

Premium Member
Hello, another small post about this ''unstoppable'' Grenade Mills.
Who always surprises us...
Grenade found in Belgium this week by an EOD team.
Do you have any idea of the veracity of the object?
thx

Attachments

• 01.JPG
    01.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 02.JPG
    02.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 03.JPG
    03.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 72
  • 04.JPG
    04.JPG
    19.1 KB · Views: 72
Do you have any idea of the veracity of the object?
Not obvious (to me at least).

Assuming there are no images of it disassembled, an image with good illumination to show what is under the curved metal tongue would be helpful to reduce any wild speculation.

Last edited:
Not obvious (to me at least).

Assuming there are no images of it disassembled, an image with good illumination to show what is under the curved metal tongue would be helpful to reduce any wild speculation.
No, the ammunition is not intended to be disassembled. It will be destroyed.
However, if no one has ever observed another similar grenade,
(Frankly, I don’t understand how this can work., there is no striker inside)
It is probably the creation of a freak in his garage.
thx Snufkin

(Frankly, I don’t understand how this can work., there is no striker inside)
It is probably the creation of a freak in his garage.
thx Snufkin
I agree that the "mechanism" does not seem to have any function, so likely the work of some enthusiast in the past.

It almost looks like someone described a Gibbons grenade to someone in Belgium and they tried to make one without ever seeing the original?

Can you please weigh it? This will give us an idea if there are any contents regarding centrepiece / explosives etc.

No markings on base plug to be seen, it never stops to amaze me that people want identification but the most important things like markings are no shown.

I saw a base plug like that on a No 23 grenade in Northern Ireland in 1982.

It's a standard No. 23 Mk II baseplug, with 17 (year) just visible on the right hand side.