What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Boer War shells.

Alan1

Premium Member
Can anybody please positively identify these two shells and fuzes, wch I think are Boer and originate from the early part of the conflict. I think that they are part of the equipments that the Boers purchased from Krupp, but they might be from another supplier.
They at one time had the name of the British soldier who brought them back, together with some detail wch would have been of great interest, but sadly the guy from whom I purchased them failed both to protect the writing from the sun or to keep a separate record of it, and it has virtually all faded to the point of being unreadable. But I can make out a date, 4 - 5 March 1900, wch places them at the beginning, or just before the beginning of the Poplar Grove assault.
Both are shrapnel, one retains its pusher plate. Forgive the poor pic of the bases, one has a stylise letter B and F4, the other has just the letter B.
There is a fair bit about British 15 Prs, and the like, but very little that I can find about Boer artillery.
Any help much appreciated.
Alan1.DSCN0908[1].JPGDSCN0909[1].JPGDSCN0910[1].JPG