What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Batteries

F0031

I realise this is a little off-topic (unless you include dealing with fallout from nuclear bombs) but I am hoping someone with Army connections might be able to help. I bought a 1960s geiger counter at Farnham on Sunday. It requires four batteries:

Two standard 1.5 volt D cells - no problem;
a 9 volt battery, Army cat. no. Y3/6135-99-910-1101 (a standard PP3 battery won't fit);
a 30 volt battery, Army cat. no. Y3/6135-99-910-1163.

Before I start trying to bodge something up, can I ask if it actually possible to obtain these last two batteries?

thanks,

Tony.

Hi Tony
The 9volt battery i wonder if its a PP7 ? its a square case

No, a pp7 is too big. But I did discover that a standard pp3 with the outside casing removed would work. This is just a stack of six 1.5 volt cells with positive at one end and negative at the other end. Also Maplins do the 30-volt battery. Anyway I believe I have got the thing working, but it appears to be too insensitive to respond to the only radioactive materials I have: a gas lantern mantle and a Soviet compass with luminous markings.

Attachments

• Radiac meter.JPG
    Radiac meter.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 21