What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any ideas what these are?

risky

Hi. Whilst out in the last few days at a well known dumping ground around here, i came across the following. any help in identifying them would be great.
the round items are metal, about 3 inches across. The main one pictured still has traces of green paint. The staps with the buckles are also metal and all are badly corroded. there are hundreds of these buried together in the undergrowth, along with what seems to be a holder of some sort of which i dug up 2. there are round spaces to hold objects, pretty sure projectiles of some sort as pictured.
This area was used after the war by the MOD to dispose of cordite, of which many rusty canisters still remain.
Thanks in advance

Risky

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 114
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 113
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 105
Hi Risky

Pictures 4 and 5 could be the end caps and handle off either the 2" or 3" mortar tubes?
(just re-read your post..........3" mortar tubes given the size !!!)

(Three cardboard tubes held together by bands of wire and metal end caps.) - sure theres a picture of one on site somewhere.

regards Kev

2nd picture looks like a shell carrier from a P59 for 25 pr rounds, the other pictures show the end caps and carrying handles for 3" Mortar or possibly P.I.A.T. rounds
Hangarman

Guys

thanks and well done for the ID
seems to be the end caps from PIAT 3". Come to think of it there was a lot of soggy cardboard in there too !! So preety sure it is the tubes used for transportation
havent found any pics anywhere of the carrier, but ill keep an eye out

many thanks again