What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any idea on these bullets, please?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not different sizes - the one on the left has somehow got pushed into the case further. They look like 9 x 19mm rounds to me. Has the primer been struck?

9mm.jpg

Like this one? A 9mm round 1943 Royal Ordnance Factory, Blackpole, UK. I believe these where manufactured for the WW2 Sten Gun, I always associate the 9mm round with pistols but I suppose the side arm in those days would have be the Webley revolvers.

Regarding the 'P' code, I am wondering if it would be a 9mm German round by Polte?

Any chance of some head stamps?

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies! I will try to get some photos of the head stamps. Primer not struck in both cases.Seems strange. Maybe thats why they were in The Thames

If primer are not struck then 99% technically `live`(assuming they have been in Thames for some time they possibly are not fireable)! Safe as long as you do not do anything silly with them! Also -unless you have a FAC - technically illegal for you to own.
Not allowed to go into details about making them safe so probably best if you take them to local nick.
There is a lot of ordnance in the Thames i am sure & for many different & varied reasons!!

The Blackpole 9mm was indeed made for Sten guns, although the Browning HP was also coming into service as well.

The P headstamped round might well be Polte, but if so I would expect to see a fourth position headstamp such as "*". Another likely possibility is Hirtenberger, but if we can see the actual pictures of the headstamps it will be easier to decide.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks. Took about 50 photos but nothing came out properly. Any tips? I was using a peg to hold the bullet, then holding inmy handbut camera was focusing on the further object

See if your camera has a macro setting in the menu. Change to that and you should be OK.

Regards
TonyE

Ringo,

I've never had much luck with the camera, but i found setting the cartridge on a scanner works well.

Regards

Cheers!

managed to do one

009.jpg

Good photo. It looks like a German 9mm lot 4 1937 from Polte. I've just added German (and others) Pre 1945 9mm to my collection list so i'm still learning here, so maybe someone more knowledgable can confirm
Over to the experts now....

regards

Last edited:
See my previous post. Exactly as I said, if it is a Polte made round (which it is) it should have a star in the fourth position. The star is simply the German code for a 67% copper bras case.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks

So a Blackpole 9mm which would have been fired by a Sten gun

and

a German 9mm lot 4 1937 made by Polte for a Luege but found in The Thames so maybe brought back from the war and thrown away

Yes, either for a P.08 (Luger) or any of several 9mmP weapons in the German arsenal.

Regards
TonyE

Been watching this thread & whilst it has been interesting I go back to my earlier post & concur with Charlie.
Ringo, either get these made safe (inert) or dispose of them responsibly - for your own sake as much as anything.
Thanks for sharing your find with us & asking pertinent questions but the site rules are there to protect us all & the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.