What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Always a new way to torture a 4.5" projectile & Base plate installation question ~

Gspragge

Premium Member
I believe unfinnished as it's unmarked except for two reject marks I just came across. It's drilled through and was held onto something
via screws through the baseplate. So a lamp I expect on a post, one can only guess~
My question is to the stud on the base, I thought at first it was just a welded on thing,
but I now think it's the stud used to install the plate, then later machined off.
Can any one comment on this, I was going to remove it, but maybe not now ~
Quote from below;
"maybe it is for tracer?"
I wouldn't think so on this kind, not an AA type. Tracer units are quite different looking than this.

Attachments

• P1010913.jpg
    P1010913.jpg
    606.8 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010914.jpg
    P1010914.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010915.jpg
    P1010915.jpg
    555 KB · Views: 25
  • P1010916.jpg
    P1010916.jpg
    469.9 KB · Views: 24
  • P1010917.jpg
    P1010917.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 26
  • P1010923.jpg
    P1010923.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 19
  • P1010926.jpg
    P1010926.jpg
    702.6 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
I have a number of files on projectile manufacture, none show the boss on the disc. However, the discs had to be screwed in tight prior to being rivetted, the base was then machined flat. The boss would be the ideal way to fit the disc.

TimG

The stud is part of the diecast base plate forging, which is ultimately machined off. The stud facilitates machining operations (facing and threading), and finally insertion into the shell base (as noted by TimG).

Drawing of die attached.

Attachments

• Base plate die.jpg
    Base plate die.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 23
I can't really think of a better way to do it - with no wrench holes there's little choice. I am surprized though
that it seems to have been done after the front brass fuze adapter was in and the band put on. I had to turn it to the right
to undo it, so counter to the rotation I expect. So these were riveted also ?

from above; "Drawing of die attached." well that certainly nails it !

The text with the drawing of the die suggests base plates for larger natures were not rivetted as standard, but is from an early 1916 American article describing US manufacture.

Attachments

• Text.jpg
    Text.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 9