What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aeroplane Cannon Shells?

blondebombshell

Hi I'm new to the site but would like help to identify some military shells that I acquired recently. My boyfriend says that the shells in the picture may be a string of shells from 1950s aircraft cannon and that they are of 30mm calibre. Can anyone be of any more help to me and are they of interest to any ordnance collectors out there.IMG_9458.jpg

They look to be ballast rounds, used in place of live rounds to simulate the weight of a fully armed aircraft during training.

Cheers,
Andy

Last edited:
As above, ballast not practice rounds.

To answer the original poster's question, they are for the 30mm Aden cannon but I suspect later than the 1950s. The Aden was a revolver cannon developed from the German MK213C and used in most British fighters throughout the second half of the twentieth cantury.

Regards
TonyE

I had 4 of these not long ago. 30mm Ballast rounds Aden (as stated quite a lot above:)) Mine were dated sometime in the 60s I think.