What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A shell casing I keep passing.

DEADLINE222

Several months ago I came upon a shell casing I just can't seem to jump on.

Located at an antique mall, It is priced at $49.95.

I believe it is dated 1905, or so; with plently on stampings on the bottom.

I would say the neck it is around the 100mm range, around 15" tall and quite heavy for it's size.

Aside from the proper aged brass and/or steel color, it looks exactly like my drawing.

What is it, and does it need to follow me home?

FUNNY.png

Hi there, Are we talking about a British case? if so, and if theres a threaded hole where a primer should be, then i would say that without a photo or any definitive dimensions that it could be a 12pdr 12cwt case. (if the mouth of the case was 4.7 inches then i would have said a 4.7" gun case).

The primer hole is rather large; probably 1 - 1.5 inches and has some sort of nut in it's place.

I do not have but a couple of British ordnance items, but based on my experience with proof marks, ect. on firearms, I would put my money on being British.

However, I could be wrong.

It simply strikes me as odd, be it the casing is tapered rather than straight. I have never seen anything like it, in all of my collecting.

Looking at the images of the shelll casings on Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_12_pounder_12_cwt_AA_gun, I see nothing indicative of the casing I am trying to describe. I cannot find any images of the 4.7" casings you also mentioned.

Last edited:
It looks to me like it could be a British 4 inch Coast Defense Gun case.

The 4" case measures 102 x 369R. This type of case is also heavy for its size. Finally, does it have these cutouts (see photo) around the top of the case? If these are present, it is almost certainly a 4" Coast Gun case.

I would buy the 4" case for $50 if I saw it.

notches.jpg

Nope, it is not what you describe.

Once again, as per your picture Falcon, the casing is tapered. The bottom of the casing is probably 6+ inches, and the mouth is around 4.

It looks like nothing I have ever seen.

Hi Deadline222, Well me and Falcon (Hi G) have given our guesses on the three main possabilities, These are all straight tapered cases. So only way forward is to see a photo(s) of the item in question. All the best, Ben.

And good measurements would help too (-;
Shape (in your drawing) reminds me of a Burney case with such an extreme taper.