What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

75mm something?

DEADLINE222

It is 75mm and weighs 12 pounds or so.

It is 11 -1/16" tall.

The rotating band is 7/16" wide.

It has a hole for a base fuze that is 1.500" wide, but lacks threading.

It has some very warn stampings on it that I have done my best to highlight in the image.

The drawings I did were as if the projectile was standing upright, where the image is laying down; of course.

Also present are three, evenly spaced, threaded holes around the circumference of the body, but I will assume this would be attributed to a former trencharting.

The qestion is: If it is an unfinished example, would they have stamped it's nomenclature before and attached the rotaing band before completion of the machining?

I have not the slightest idea. Educate me.

WHATZIT75.jpg
WHATZIT75BOTTOM.jpg

I'm thinking it is part of a drill round. It doesn't fit the design of any service projectile of the time. It doesn't have a crimping groove. It is near the profile of an early WWII Mk I AA projectile, but it would have a nose fuze if it were that projectile, therefore a drill projectile for that round.

There is also a chance that it is a drill projectile for the French 75mm field gun used by the U.S. That projo would also have had a nose fuze.