What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

7.7 cm Positive ID?

Hey again. I have a 7.7 cm German shell dated 1915, however I cannot determine the type of projectile it once fired. Unlike most 7.7 cm rounds it has no crimp whatsoever. the headstamp reads
St 124 POLTE
SEPT with a of circled near it
MAGDENBURG
and a crown with a Mg3 for Prussian approval
Sb
FL in cursive
and 14 with an exponent capital H
Any imformation at all you can give me regarding this round will be much appreciated.
Thanks again!

Attachments

• Snapshot_20110531_2.jpg
    Snapshot_20110531_2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 61
  • Snapshot_20110531_3.jpg
    Snapshot_20110531_3.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 98
can you take a better picture of the headstamp please? There is some other mystery with your case (other than the missing crimp grooves). I wonder because nobody did recognize it ;-) I think it is a reworked case for the Feldkanone 16 which used 77x230R without crimp grooves. It is just a little unusual to see a 1915 case without grooves.

Last edited:
I have seen these before, sold them cheap. Mistake from my side?!?

Did you recognize what's uncommon with this case (not the missing crimp grooves)? But I don't think what I mean makes it much more worth, just a little, it's just some more historically interesting so I think you made no mistake. The headstamp itself is very common, but not the P***er ;-)

ok :) I have seen a lot of 77mm cases, but never one with primer screw. For me it is one more fact for a reworked case but also a little strange as also the normal primer cups could be removed and reloaded. May be some troop test...?

I have seen cases with the normal type primer, both postwar and WW2 dated, but also never a screw in primer.

I would really like to see a better picture of the primer!

I'm surprised there's enough thickness to the head of a 77x230R case fit a primer screw. When you pick one up they seem really light. I always thought they were intended to be single use cases which were fired once then scrapped.