What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6pdr / 57mm Case

Weasel

Premium Member
Can anyone shed any light on this case for me...? I have not seen British 6pdr cases stamped with 57mm as well and the primer is much bigger than other cases i have from 1916. It looks to have been a MK2 originally then possibly reloaded and stamped MK3, Although that is the only sign i can see of it being reused.
Weasel.
57mm_6pdr_002.jpg

Hi All,
Just bumping this thread to see if anyone can help me with info on this case.
Thanks in advance..

Best regards Weasel.

I think it is a reload - poss for training or parade/salutes? Surprised though the original stamps haven`t been overstamped - which I thought was the norm?

6pr

I'll make some obvious observations but sadly no real answers:

57m/m is in a font I've never seen on a British case by a long way and is not the same as the 6PDR. 6PDR not usually has the D most are 6Pr. The position of the description is not directly opposite the maker V.S.M The primer area looks very Nordenfelt and I suspect the neck has round punching marks not long crimps. My guess would be that its an export product. Very interesting case to have.
2pr

I'll make some obvious observations but sadly no real answers:

57m/m is in a font I've never seen on a British case by a long way and is not the same as the 6PDR. 6PDR not usually has the D most are 6Pr. The position of the description is not directly opposite the maker V.S.M The primer area looks very Nordenfelt and I suspect the neck has round punching marks not long crimps. My guess would be that its an export product. Very interesting case to have.
2pr

I was thinking the same thing. Seems sort of continental.

I will have to dig out the case and have a look at the crimps, that may narrow it down a bit. Still an odd case would like to find out more about it if possible. Thankyou for all your comments and input,
Best Weasel.