What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

6lb cannonball?

vwjedi

Hi all, I have an item i'm trying to identify that I was told is a 6lb cannonball but it has a small metal plate inside a hole that was sealed with wax.

I got it from ebay as a possible cannonball having been found in an estuary on the south coast where gunnery training was practised around 1800.

I researched how to stabalise it properly using electrolysis and when I started the cleaning process discovered the hole in the side appx 30deg above the equator where you can clearly see the two halves of the cast.

I have attached a pic.

It is 28.5cm in circumfrence making it bang on for a six pound shot of some kind but am rather worried that it might now be a hollow shot. There is no place for a fuse of any kind so was happy that it wasnt a grenade or filled with powder and I dont know how it could have powder without some way of getting it in?

I want to give it as a present and dont want to make any mistakes.

the link to the preservation methods I studied is below.
http://nautarch.tamu.edu/crl/conservationmanual/ConservationManual.pdf

DSCF0289.jpg