What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm german kreigsmarine cases

waffenamt

Hi fellas,
I picked some nice swag at Leeds.our man AndyD pointed me to these and im very happy with them.(cheers Andy!)
S7001475.jpg

Some projectiles would be nice too!

I can only hope and keep my eyes peeled at the shows.:)

thanks

waff

Waff ive noticed the waffenamt stamps have letters and numbers,,what do these indicate

As far as i know,the top row is the size and the `st` is for steel(brass washed)
bottom row will be manufacturer and date.
`M` next to the budgie represents they are made for Naval useage.
i could be wrong as im only a learner and have been collecting for a mere 18 months.Thats why ive joined forums to learn.

cheers

waff

The manufacturer markings are as follows,

'agl',Stahlwerke Braunschweig GmbH,Werk Starachowice,Poland

'bzs',Witkowitzer Bergbau & Eisenhutten Gewerkschaft,Mahrisch Ostrau 10 (Witkowitz Eisenwerk)

This is the first time I've seen 2 maker marks on one shell case!

Are they all marked this way?

Cheers,
Andy

Hi Andy,

yes,i was wondering the same?
perhaps they were fired and returned to an arms factory for refurb and refill?

waff

A chat with my pal Mick confirms that i may be right about the cases being re-worked,hence 2 manufacturers stamps.

cheers

waff

As far as i know the "St" stands for a strengthend case. I have a few 77mm German cases with this stamp and all are brass. Hope this helps.

Yeah, I was wondering about that also...I happened to ba at a mates house at the weekend, and he had two 77mm(???) cases dated 1915 and 1917, clearly made from solid brass.....yet sporting the "St" mark

I know (I think) for WW2 cases the "St" is Stahl....ie Steel. so what on earth is it on WW1 cases????

From Babelfish: -
Strengthened is verstrkt in German, but
Strength is Strke, and
Strong is Stark

It would seem that Weasel is right (not that I doubted of course) Can we confirm this?...also can we confirm "St" on WW2 Cases is Stahl, and not Stark or Strke?

Rich
(what a load of waffle)

I now have the correct primers for the cases installed,i just need the projectiles!:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

best

waff