What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

40mm break up projectiles

ken68

Some new additions nice 40x311mm break up projectiles . unfilled but not for long .
Cheers Ken

Attachments

• 40MM BREAK UP 004 (2).jpg
    40MM BREAK UP 004 (2).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 82
  • 40MM BREAK UP 007 (2).jpg
    40MM BREAK UP 007 (2).jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
Do these turn a Bofors into a Huge shotgun? Were the cartridges marked in any way? Did the drive band engage with the rifling ? Were stoppages very common, bearing in mind the fragility of the projectile? Were the cartridges crimped in? I am Interested in any info on the break up rounds really.
Cheers
Gary

yes a big shotgun used for gunnery practice as they were filled with lead shot 2lb in weight , also made so the gun functioned correctly load eject , I understand the cases were marked but I don't know what markings ?? I am sure I seen the link for this , heres a
link I found on BOCN pretty much sums up the break up projectiles
cheers Ken [
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/82109-40mm-Bofors-Break-up-projectileQUOTE=hangarman;242013]Do these turn a Bofors into a Huge shotgun? Were the cartridges marked in any way? Did the drive band engage with the rifling ? Were stoppages very common, bearing in mind the fragility of the projectile? Were the cartridges crimped in? I am Interested in any info on the break up rounds really.
Cheers
Gary[/QUOTE]

a bit more added info other than in the link kindly found by Kenny

The following text is from page 160 of Ian Hoggs "The illustrated encyclopedia of ammunition"
"Break-up shot . A projectile which when fired sets up the necessary resistance to the bore which will cause the gun to recoil and any automatic mechanism to function,but which then disintegrates either inside the bore or shortly after leaving the muzzle and disperses harmlessly.The object is to operate the gun for test or drill purposes,but not to discharge a projectile which will fly any great distance or cause any damage.Originally they were cylinders of waxed paper filled with sand or water provided for coast artillery guns in locations where it was not possibleto fire a service projectile in peacetime because of danger to shipping.The weight would give rise to recoil,so ensuring that the gun mechanism was functioning correctly,but the shot would split in the bore and the water or sand would be ejected from the muzzle and would evaporate or fall to the ground within a few feet,
The principle was then adapted to light anti aircraft guns in order to test their automatic functioning without the need to take them to a proper firing rang,by using break-up shot it was possible to test them in a workshop area,For this application a plastic projectile filled with either fine dust or a thick innocuous liquid is used,the shot passes up the gun barrel and the gun mechanism functions correctly,but centrifugal force,imparted by the spin of the shot,causes the heavy contents to split the shell and disperse within a few feet of the muzzle.
Break-up shot is not well liked by the people who use it since ,depending upon the direction of the wind it often coats the gun and its crew in fine dust or sticky liquid and necessitates a great deal of additional cleaning"

also on the same page is a photo showing several examples from Rheinmetall from 20mm up to 40mm

Attachments

• P1010900.JPG
    P1010900.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 44
Just found the following amongst my files
CARTRIDGE, QF, BREAK-UP SHOT
Cartridge, QF, Break-up Shot is used by the Service for testing the auto-loader and recoil mechanism (QF,40-mm, Mk 1/2). The shot is designed to break-up a short distance (50 yds) from the muzzle

Attachments

• 40mm-15.jpg
    40mm-15.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 39
That's brilliant info Spotter, thank you for sharing :tinysmile_grin_t:

cheers ken

a

also on the same page is a photo showing several examples from Rheinmetall from 20mm up to 40mm

Allan, while Rheinmetall was the parent company the actual "break up" series of ammunition was patented and produced by the Dutch "NWM".

picture showing inner disc and base plate marked SX15SA . Also a circle with BN5 not sure if that's the maker's code ?

Cheers ken

Attachments

• 40 BREAK UP 002 (2).jpg
    40 BREAK UP 002 (2).jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 43
  • BN5 001.jpg
    BN5 001.jpg
    267.2 KB · Views: 34