What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Solothurn Ident help?

Hey guys. One of my most recent buys has been a 20x138mmB round. It has a really basic headstamp with a capital H and the number 38. I believe that the H satnds for Rheinische Metallwaren und Maschinenfabrik, Dusseldorf, Germany, and that the 38 is for
1938. It has a Spanish carving on it and I bought it in Spain if that helps. Can anybody confiirm this for me or come up with something else, and possibly what
fired it and what type of round it is?
Thanks!

Sorry if the pics are not good I was using my webcam.

Attachments

• Snapshot_20110531.jpg
    Snapshot_20110531.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 107
  • Snapshot_20110531_1.jpg
    Snapshot_20110531_1.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 126
Hi
I think H means Hirtenberger, Austria. Many of these was find in Italy with italian color code shells.
At least two lots were delivered to Italy in 1938 and 1939.
best regards

As far as what fired it is concerned:

This was primarily used in the German FlaK 30 and FlaK 38 anti-aircraft guns used a lot in WW2 (including the formidable 4-barrel Flakvierling) and for some years thereafter in various countries. It was also used in the KwK 30/38 guns fitted to some German light tanks and armoured cars, plus the MG C/30 L aircraft gun used very briefly (in a Heinkel He 112) in the Spanish Civil War, and the Solothurn S18-1000 series anti-tank rifles, which also saw some use in WW2 (mainly with Italy IIRC).

Other nations also made guns in this calibre, especially Lahti of Finland (L39 anti-tank rifle plus L/40 AA derivative of this) and Italy (Breda M35 and Scotti AA guns).

Today I found the same case stamped "H" "39". It was expensive but I had never seen one before.

Hi All,Just to add to the 20x138b thread,I have a 20x138b case which is stamped P94 wa 38 15c , the letters wa are only about 1mm high and have been impacted by the base of the ejector claw and are difficult to define,I bought it a few years ago at a steam engine rally,unfortunatly there was no projectile with it,
Cheers,
Don,

Hi Don, your case is German manufacture and of the type you normally find. After German cases you will most likely see Italian cases and after that it becomes harder. I will soon add Finnish cases to my collection and now this hard to find case (at least in The Netherlands) of Hirtenberger. The ultimate case would be a Dutch Manufactured case (if they even exist).

Hi Hoeksel,Many thanks for the info,I hope you manage to find a Dutch case for your collection,
Regards,
Don,