What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm Recoilless M55

I am looking for any information on an American project for a 20mm recoilless weapon, I believe designated the M55.

This would have looked very much like the 20x102mm round that we are all familiar with except there would have been many small holes on the sides of the case, again as we are familiar with for recoilless rounds.

I am looking for images (side and base), and drawings. I would also love to get any information about the weapon, or anticipated weapon?

Thanks for any help!

I've just looked it up in the book:

"Historical development summary of automatic cannon caliber ammunition: 20-30mm by Dale M Davis"

The label on the case in the photo says "inert 20mm recoilless about 1971"

The text in the book says "Recoilless 20mm. This author is fully convinced that if you wait long enough someone will propose anything. At one time in the early 1970's someone felt it would be a good idea to convert the 20mm to a recoilless system. Figure 53 (the photo on the link above) is a proposed recoilless version of the M55 round. Of course it could be done. The muzzle velocity would be 1500 to 1800 fps. But why?"

Hope this helps and if you get hold of a spare one I'd be interested in adding one to my collection.:tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Dave.

20mm RCL M55

Thanks for the reply...I have that publication, and it represents almost all of the documentation I am able to find on it. My copy is a pretty poor PDF copy, and the pictures are pretty bad.

Are you aware of anything other than this particular document? While I like it because of the relatively obscure artifacts mentioned in the piece, I tend to think that Mr. Davis is a lot less objective, and a fair bit opinionated in his report.

If you have a clear copy of the article, or any others for that matter, would you be willing to share them?

Thanks again for the response!