What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm projectile identification

018.jpg016.jpg017.jpg

This projectile is shown next to a 20x102 Vulcan for comparison. Everything pictured is inert.

I picked this up at a swapmeet with a bunch of WWII era ammo which included a nice 1942 20mm Hispano round :wink: There are no markings on the projectile and it does not look like it has ever been painted. I does look like it has some type of dried oil/cosmoline/protectant stuff on it that is yellowish in color. Unlike the Vulcan, this is a solid piece of steel and there is an area that has been machined down between the brass ring and the middle of the projectile that is 19mm long from the ring to the point where it gets bigger. The over all length looks to be about 83mm. In the 3rd pic, you can see what looks like some type of wear marks about 1/2 inch above the machined area. This goes all the way around like if this was used to push into something to make it bigger.

Any idea's on what it is?

I'm guessing it could be part of some type of go no go gauge an armorer would use to set head spacing????

Thanks,
Fred
016.JPG

Hi,

Indeed, it's a 20x110 USN projectile.

I've added a picture of a complete 20x110 USN round, together with a 20x102 for comparison.

Attachments

• 100_4949.jpg
    100_4949.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 30
That's great guys, thanks!
Would you happen to know why mine has that big machined out section between the ring and the center of the bullet?
Is this for a practice round?

If anyone following this thread happens to have some 20x110USN casings around, would you be willing to sell me a dozen or so? I have some but they are badly rusted and pitted to the point that they look like sand blasted wood.

Thanks,
Fred

I think this is a ball round as it appears to be all steel - no alluminium tip
The gap is intentional.
Where it goes wide again is called the Bourrelet.
This just rubs on the rifling when fired & acts as a stabilizer the drive band engages with the rifling & acts as a gas seal & imparts the spin which adds to accuracy & stability.
I the whole diameter rubbed then this would slow the proj down & wear out the barrels.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourrelet

Hi ,
The early style AP-T and AP-I projectiles had a steel windshield pressed on to the AP body ,creating a bourrelet affect.
Majority of 20mm USN mk100 projectiles were steel with aluminium nose/fuse.
see attached pic, note part sectioned AP-T projectile.

mk12usn.jpg
cheers
Bob

kahu
Your sectioned AP looks nice & nice collection, but if I am right the windshield comes almost down to the drive band & is retained by the serrations on the core?
The bourrelet on the one in question does not come as far.
As before I think this is a solid ball/experimental proj.
As it`s show & tell here`s my 3!!
I been told the drill/training round in the middle is not too common & I have not seen too many 20 x 110 USN rounds or cases here or in Europe.
DCP02374.jpg

Bob, I've seen some of those fired AP rounds in the desert before, that answered one of those questions that I stashed away somewhere in the back of my mind.

Hi ,
The early style AP-T and AP-I projectiles had a steel windshield pressed on to the AP body ,creating a bourrelet affect.
Majority of 20mm USN mk100 projectiles were steel with aluminium nose/fuse.
see attached pic, note part sectioned AP-T projectile.

View attachment 54740
cheers
Bob

Hi Hicky ,

Yeah ,i noted the difference in length,will look for more info.

Nice rounds but the black projectile is an M99 Practice ,for the American loaded hispano case.
I havent seen a drill round like that ,but believe France manufactured the MK.100 rounds for the Crusader naval fighters so could be for that?
Pic is of local used drill rounds,the first 2 projectiles are HPT and LPT (High and Low Pressure Test).
The 2 alloy rounds are local CNC manufactured.
20X110USN.jpg
Alot of the drill rounds are made from rejected production inert TP,HEI and APT projectiles.

Cheers
Bob

Hi Kahu
Yes the proj is marked & stamped M99. Should have noticed before. Now I need a 20 x 158RB case for it!! Anyone got one?
I seem to recall now that I was told the centre drill/dummy was for the Crusader.

M99 is for the US version of the Hispano 20 x 110 case, should be easier(and cheaper) to obtain!

cheers
Bob

002 (2).jpg003 (2).jpg
Think i've got the ID,
M95 ,AP-T for the US hispano.
007 (2).JPG
probablty used in other US 20mm variations of that era(1950's)
Cheers
Bob