What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20mm HE-I MK1

DEADLINE222

I have acquired a 20mm cartridge I assume is a 20mm HE-I MK1.

It has the most complete example of a 20mm fuze I have yet to find; a PD NO 253.

The casing is an early M21 which is dated 1942.

In preperation to paint it, I started to sand off the brown color on the projectile I assumed was paint, but it turns out it is copper.

The projectile is magnetic, and it looks as if internals are steel. The rotating band looks as if it is part of the copper that makes up the projectile, but I could be wrong.

Is this normal? If not, what do I have?

Also, I am confussed.

After looking at the TMs, I see that the MK1 has a red body and a yellow ogtive, yet on following image that came from a thread discussing a MK3, the HE-I apears to be solid red.

I also have a MK3 projectile in needing of painting in which I assume is HE-I. What is the deal on the HE-I color scheme? Was the scheme changed over time, or through different MK numbers.

Big question, I know. Set me straight, please.

PLATE_23.jpg

Last edited: