What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1 inch Maxim

SG500

Premium Member
Attached are a couple of photos of a 1 inch Maxim round.

Length is 111mm

Base is 38.5mm

There is no headstamp

The projectiles is solid with no stampings on it.

Can anyone advise on any further information concerning the gun, when it was in service, any other types of ammunition for it etc. All I know about it is that it was a Navy cannon.

Thanks.

Dave.

Attachments

• 1 inch Maxim 0011.jpg
    1 inch Maxim 0011.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 86
  • 1 inch Maxim 0021.jpg
    1 inch Maxim 0021.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 101
I think 1 inch maxim was the same as 1 inch aiming and so on, this is something else entirely ? Looking into it

Thanks.
Just to clarify things the length quoted above is the CASE length i.e. 111mm.
The projectile is 25.4mm (1 inch).
Dave.

1 in Maxim

This is not the same as the 1 in. Nordenfelt or aiming rifle, which was straight cased.

This was a private venture and was never adopted for service in Britain.

Regards
TonyE

Dave - I have sent you PM.

Here 2 pcs 1 inch rounds from my collection, most likely Swedish navy origin.
Longer case is 95mm long, unmarked. Shorter one is 87mm long and has Swedish markings. No idea for which guns they are.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Attachments

• 1 inch.jpg
    1 inch.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 90
Nordenfelt

The lower round is a Nordenfelt type for the multi barrel hand cranked gun. The other looks like a similiar case size with a longer projectile, more modern

Thanks T mine - do either of them have headstamps? If so what are they?

Dave.

The short case ( long projectile ) has Swedish naval markings but no date. The long case ( short projectile ) has no markings.

A few people have asked me to check the measurements so here's a few more.
Projectile length 74.79mm
Depth of driving band 17.64mm
Primer diameter 7.86mm (Oiled and inert)
Rim depth 1.93mm
All other measurements as in the original listing.

I've attached a couple of pictures of it next to a 37mm 1 pounder for scale together with a picture of the base (no head stamp).

Its listed in the excellent reference book Military Cartridges part 3 by W. D. de Hek that was published in 2000 (I've posted a photo of the front cover).
The listing is "25.4x111/R 1" Maxim - Rim 38.5mm - (Navy cannon) USA"

Hope this helps.

Dave.

Attachments

• More 1 inch Maxim 0051.JPG
    More 1 inch Maxim 0051.JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 63
  • More 1 inch Maxim 0041.JPG
    More 1 inch Maxim 0041.JPG
    74.3 KB · Views: 65
  • More 1 inch Maxim 0011.jpg
    More 1 inch Maxim 0011.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 64
  • More 1 inch Maxim 0021.jpg
    More 1 inch Maxim 0021.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 69
Longer case is 95mm long, unmarked. Shorter one is 87mm long and has Swedish markings. No idea for which guns they are.:tinysmile_shy_t:

Hi T mine - its possible the 25x87 is an M-22 Navy (Experimental aircraft cannon round) - I've got no more info on it though - it seems to be the only thing on the list that is that sort of size from Sweden.

Dave.

Please could you post a picture of the headstamp, I would be interested in seeing it. What are the markings on the projectile?

The short-case long-projectile round is the 1 inch Vickers, for an experimental aircraft gun at the start of WW1. An example of the gun survives in the National Firearms Centre (the fomer MoD Pattern Room). It was never used in the UK, but Vickers-Terni in Italy picked it up and made a little use of it (I've seen a pic of one mounted on a WW1 Caproni bomber). The gun was then sold to Sweden and used to equip some submarines - the only formal adoption that I know of.

You can see the 25x87R round (it was technically called a 25.4mm by the Italians and Swedes) next to the Revelli-FIAT 25x87 (unofficially developed from it) in the pic from my Ammo Photo Gallery below.
oldcart.jpg

Thanks Tony, this indeed clarifies my 25x87R round. It has Swedish naval markings both on projectile and case head. :tinysmile_grin_t:

Thanks for the info Tony.
Attached a couple of photos of a 25.4x87 Fiat-Rivelli, all empty and inert etc.
Returning to the original query - anyone any more ideas about the 1 inch Maxim?
Dave.

The short-case long-projectile round is the 1 inch Vickers, for an experimental aircraft gun at the start of WW1. An example of the gun survives in the National Firearms Centre (the fomer MoD Pattern Room). It was never used in the UK, but Vickers-Terni in Italy picked it up and made a little use of it (I've seen a pic of one mounted on a WW1 Caproni bomber). The gun was then sold to Sweden and used to equip some submarines - the only formal adoption that I know of.

You can see the 25x87R round (it was technically called a 25.4mm by the Italians and Swedes) next to the Revelli-FIAT 25x87 (unofficially developed from it) in the pic from my Ammo Photo Gallery below.
oldcart.jpg

Attachments

• Fiat-Rivelli 2.JPG
    Fiat-Rivelli 2.JPG
    29 KB · Views: 40
  • Fiat - Rivelli band.JPG
    Fiat - Rivelli band.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 33
  • Fiat-Rivelli.JPG
    Fiat-Rivelli.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 34