What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1.65, 2pdr Ammunition for the Hotchkiss Gun

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
Hi all.

I am trying to gather information on 1.65 in ammunition for the Hotchkiss Mountain Gun.

Briefly, this weapon was in service from about 1880 to about 1905 or so. It was used by State Troops (as distinct from Federal troops) for some unknown period of time.

The weapon and it's ammunition started out as friction primed rounds. That is to say that a friction primer caused flame to be introduced, past a diaphram, into the earlier shells. This, obviously, caused a discharge. Later, a percussion shell was developed for the gun and a percussion block was retrofitted in existing weapons. Around 1890 the American Ordnance Co. began producing these cannon under lisence from Hotchkiss. They saw service with various state militias and were exported to many countries.

When production was handed off, whether Hotchkiss produced these things in parallel with AOC, when and how the percussion mechanism was filtered in, when final production was, all of these things are murkey.

At the moment, I am attempting to inject some order into the chaos of the ammunition.

There are at least 3 manufacturers of either complete rounds or their components (Winchester, Frankford Arsenal and UMC). There are Casings from these three and so marked.
threeheads.jpg

Note that the FA caseing is tinned. My understanding is that it is only their casings that are so treated.

As far a projectiles go, things are a bit interesting.

There are three main types.

1) base fused common
I have only seen black painted examples
a. Cast iron (with a flat nose)
b. Hardened Steel (pointed nose)

2) Caseshot

a. Japanned tin
b. Brass round nose

3) Nose fused

a. Wide driving band, 18mm fuse opening Red painted
b. Wide driving band, 16mm fuse opening Black painted
Both of these are completely unmarked
c. Narrow driving band, 16mm fuse opening Red painted Marked Winchester and Hotchkiss Patent date (for improvement to the driving band)

I read (gotta find the reference) that the broader band is older.

Here are some examples
hotchkissside.jpg

OK. The question is what in the wide world of sports is going on here?

Who made what, when?

All information is appreciated.

I should mention that the crimping groove appears on one red shell (narrow band, narrow fuse hole) and one black shell (wide band, narrow fuse hole)

I should also mention that the red shells all have a slightly convex bottom while the black shell is perfectly flat.

Here are some more variations.

1=based fused, chilled cast iron. There appears to be only one flavor of these though I recall reading that a pointed steel one came out at some later point (steel one was pointed, that was a clever joke)

2=narrow band HE. The Narrow band HE shell that I own says "Winchester" and has a different diameter fuse than the red wide band shell that I own.

3=wide band HE.

4 & 6 Who knows but different.

Welcome to my world of confusion.

Attachments

• hotchkiss cropped1.jpg
    hotchkiss cropped1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 42